Sunday, July 27, 2008

Talking to Mom about blogging

When I was back home in San Diego recently, I had lunch at my Mom's house and we got on the subject of the blog.


As we talked about it, I started trying to explain to her why I enjoyed it so much. I've gone my entire life either playing or coaching basketball. And, if you knew my Dad, you know it's not a leisurely pace either. He was a 90-mile-per-hour guy. No doubt I got it from him.


Well, after 40-plus years, all at once, I went from 90 mph to a dead stop. There were a lot of changes going on in my life, moving back to the Bay area and having more times with my sons. Other than my two sons, it was time to find some new projects.


The blog was almost like a re-birth. Thinking about basketball in different terms, reflecting on some of what I've seen and learned during my life and career, corresponding with other coaches, teaching, meeting new people -- it's been incredibly therapeutic for me.


I think my Mom understood, though I'm still not sure she's clear on what a blog is.