Monday, January 19, 2009

Searching for sources of improvement

Good story in the Chicago Tribune about Cubs manager Lou Piniella's plans to "spend part of his spare time in spring training reading up on new tactics from an old master and some sports psychologists, hoping to find a solution to his team's 101-year championship drought."

"I want to read (former UCLA basketball coach John) Wooden's book on winning and buy a couple of sports psychologist-type books," Piniella said. "I have to take it upon myself to do things a little differently when we get to the postseason, and I will. I don't know exactly what, but I've been searching. I've been talking to my coaches about it since I've been here. The fact that this team hasn't won in so long, it's going to take a little different approach, as opposed to just letting them play."