Monday, March 9, 2009

Playing HORSE with Larry Bird

Marc Spears of the Boston Globe has an excerpt from Pat Williams' new book, "Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inside Basketball."

Ex-Magic ball boy Bobby Williams writes about the surprising experience of being asked to play H-O-R-S-E by Larry Bird at the Orlando Arena hours before a game.

"Larry said to me, 'Hey kid, can you shoot?' As my voice cracked, I bravely replied, 'Of course.' He said, 'Let's play H-O-R-S-E.' I was numb. It was one thing to rebound for Larry Bird. It's another to play H-O-R-S-E with him. Larry said, 'Are you good for five dollars?' 'Sure,' I said.

To no one's surprise, he made his shots and I missed mine. Larry said, 'Pay up.' I grinned and shrugged, 'I don't have any money.' Larry gave me a stern look and then just smiled."