Friday, March 6, 2009

Wanting to win as long as I can keep doing what I want to do

Saw a clip where former Dallas receiver Terrell Owens said, "I just want to win."

Then I thought about something Doc Rivers said last month:

"I hear so many times guys say they want to win... I want to be a winner, but what they're really saying is they want to win so long as it's comfortable for them. What they're really saying is, 'I want to win it as long as I can keep doing what I do.'"

Owens talks about wanting to win, but his actions say otherwise. He's putting conditions on it. What he's really saying is that he wants to win "as long as I can keep doing what I do."

That's not how it works.

Yes, you might be able to keep doing what you like to do or what you're comfortable doing and the team has a good season. After all, when Owens was with the Cowboys they won lots of regular season games.

But when it comes to winning championships, it often boils down to who is willing to sacrifice the most in order to win.