Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Your GM gives you 12 players; you've got to make it work

Watched an interview with Chuck Daly from 1997 on the Charlie Rose Show. I managed to transcribe a small excerpt here.

~~~~~~~~~~

"When I was in Detroit, it lasted nine years. I knew I should've gone the two years before that because [the players] get tired of hearing you -- they know every inflection -- and you get tired of them. It works both ways. I don't look at [the players] as having made a lot of money. I really don't care what color they are or where they come from. I've got to deal with them on a one-to-one basis. Your general manager gives you 12 players. You've got to make this work. You've gotta take these 12 guys -- cause otherwise you're gonna lose your job. They're gonna fire you or you're gonna get embarrassed. So somehow, you've got to reach them, and every one of them is different."