Thursday, December 11, 2008

Being a defensive stopper is about more than steals

As the starting PG for the Celtics, Rajon Rondo is a big reason for the team's 20-2 start. He's averaging 10 points, 5 rebounds, two steals, and nearly 8 assists per game this season.

But on a team with three NBA All-Stars in Ray Allen, KG, and Paul Pierce, Rondo has a clear understanding of his role and his objectives:

"My goal is to be on the All-Defensive team and win a championship. You can look at box scores, but you actually have to watch games and see matchups to see who really is the defensive stopper . . . But a lot of times they go off steals, but I don't think that's what counts. I try to make plays. I try to get the ball and I think I'm good at doing that. It leads to fast-break points, you get the momentum going, and you get a stop defensively."