Saturday, December 27, 2008

The first thing kids want to do is play offense

Coach Silver referenced a note from the Waco paper in his email today about Texas Tech coach Pat Knight, who's unhappy with the way his team has played defense recently.

So he turned to Tech's former coach, Pat's father Bobby Knight, for some insight.

“I talked to my dad about it, and I realize the first thing kids want to do is play offense,” Pat Knight said. “Defense is the hardest thing to get across to them. It’s got to become urgent for them. You’ve got to hammer it into them every day. When you get in our league, everybody has firepower. We’re not talented enough to get into a shootout. That’s why there’s going to be a huge emphasis on defense. You probably never thought you’d hear a Knight say this, but I’ve been pleased with our zone defense. I’m just not pleased with our man-to-man defense.”