Tuesday, September 23, 2008

An insatiable hunger for self-improvement

Meant to post sooner about the SI story about Ohio State LB James Laurinaitis, who was known for his three-ring binder in high school.  

According to his coach, Laurinaitis would watch film of the upcoming opponent, carefully diagraming their every play and placing it carefully in the binder.

"I'm a better learner when I write stuff down," says Laurinaitis

The article also describes how Laurinaitis called former OSU LB Chris Spielman to ask him for advice.  [If you've forgotten Spielman's rep as a hard worker, watch this great video.]

Spielman quickly saw in Laurinaitis "the same insatiable hunger for self-improvement that drove him."  

According to Spielman:

"I talk to him like I talk to myself.  When he talks about how some aspect of his game isn't good enough, I tell him, 'It never will be good enough, but that's not going to prevent us from trying to make it good enough.' He knew exactly what I meant."