Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The importance of optimism

Great quote in Glenn Wilkes' newsletter this month from Hall of Fame manager Tommy Lasorda, who guided the Dodgers to two World Series titles in the '80s:

"The most important thing I did was walk into the clubhouse the right way. It didn't matter whether we had won eight in a row or lost eight in a row. Whether things were great at home or not so great, I had to walk into the clubhouse the right way.

The minute I came in, my players had to see an upbeat, positive manager. I had to walk straight, have a smile on my face and an optimistic gleam in my eye. If my players had seen my chin at my belt buckle, the gloom would have spread like wildfire. It would have destroyed the ball club. You have to be optimistic all the time. That's a manager's most important job."