Thursday, November 27, 2008

Who wants to look at a leader who's a grouch and a pouter

Many of us will push away from the table this afternoon to watch the Lions game on TV even though Detroit is 0-11 on the season.

After 11 losses in 11 tries, what role does the coach play? According to Detroit coach Rod Marinelli:

"My job is to believe in them, to read them, to encourage them and show them how. That's what I do. I don't bang on them and throw them in the waste can.

My job is to lead these men. I don't look for disaster. I don't look for disease. I don't look for speculation. I look to lift these men up. That's my job.

If I didn't try as hard as I can try, if I didn't come to work ready to go every single day, upbeat and positive, because who wants to look at a leader who's a grouch and a pouter. When things are bad, a leader's supposed to step up and lead from the front. And that's what I'm gonna do."