Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Being selective in your leadership

In the first four games of the season, Rutgers QB Mike Teel threw seven INTs and two TDs.

Since then, he's thrown for 13 TDs and 5 INTs. And the Scarlet Knights have won four straight.

The difference, according to Teel, was a chat he had with his coach Greg Schiano.

Schiano's message, he said, was simple: Be selective in your leadership, work and prepare hard, then go out and have fun.

"Early on in the year I was driving myself into the ground trying to push everyone and get everyone going. That's when coach said to me 'just worry about the guys who are going to follow you and everyone else will follow those guys and it will be a trickle-down effect.' That's when I finally started to take off and we started to win some games. When I did that, it made things a lot easier. "