Friday, December 5, 2008

When you lose a game, you wonder how you're going to come out of it

After 24 years as an NBA head coach, including 21 with the same team, Jerry Sloan still worries about getting a pink slip.

"I expect to get fired every day. I don't think that'll happen, especially now. I don't know – I guess I quit worrying about it, quit thinking about it as much as I did. I worry about it, but I don't go to bed at night and wake up in the middle of the night.

I wake up in the middle of the night over the players. Not about my job, like I used to. But as far as the team's concerned, you're always concerned because you lose a game and you wonder how you're going to come out of it. You may not come back out of it like you expected. (Players) may quit on you. They may do this. They may do that. I've seen so many things like that happen, and it's really frightening."