Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Kerr: I'm willing to pay the price

A story in yesterday's Phoenix paper claims that "if these Suns flame out, [GM Steve] Kerr will go down as the guy who messed up a good thing."

But Kerr, who was a member of five NBA championship teams as a player, isn't ducking the challenge:

"A lot of people warned me when I took the job. They said, 'There are only two places you can go. You can take the next step to the top, or the team goes down and you're the goat.' I'm aware of that. And I'd be lying if I told you that it didn't enter my mind from time to time.

I understand what's at stake. I've kind of laid myself out there in a lot of ways. It may work, it may not. I don't know. But I'm willing to accept the results. I don't expect us to be a championship team in November, and I know I'm going to take a lot of heat during the growing pains. I know I'll pay the price publicly, but I like the path this team is on, and we have to make that transition."