Saturday, February 14, 2009

I love the people in my life who have been hard on me

It's ironic that Kansas State coach Frank Martin, while known for his "intimidating stature" and "The Stare," is also called "Frank" by his players.

According to one KSU player, "Frank is the type coach who likes to be up close and personal with his players. He has an open-door policy and he relates to us really well. But on the floor, his love of the game makes him really intense."

This article contends that the Wildcats "share a reputation with Doc Sadler’s bunch at Nebraska as the hardest-working teams in show business. And Martin is doing it with a relatively young bunch also minus last year’s senior point guard."

"I don’t need people to call me by a certain name to make myself feel empowered," says Coach Martin, whose team has won six straight. "I’m the head basketball coach and I make the decisions. The players do what I ask them to do, they play. If they don’t, they don’t. I love the people in my life who have been hard on me rather than the people who let me get away with what I wanted to do. That’s who I am. I don’t worry about that nonsense because I feel comfortable with our locker room."