Monday, February 23, 2009

Roger Mason: One of those inspiring stories

As Michael Wilbon writes in yesterday's Washington Post, 28-year-old Roger Mason is "one of those inspiring stories, in which a kid who is told he's not quite good enough perseveres and ultimately, through sheer work and intelligence, forces his way into the lineup, then more playing time, then his team's favor."

Wilbon tells of how Mason "once took a flight home at the conclusion of a season in Israel and the very next day was in multiple gyms from 6 a.m. until 9 p.m., to remind himself that making the NBA was going to be difficult work."

His work has paid off this season. Besides signing a $7 million contract with the Spurs, Mason's competed in the NBA All-Star game 3-point competition and has hit four game-winning shots this season for San Antonio.

And yet, Mason, who in addition to playing overseas has spent time with CHI, TOR, and WAS, says he's not resting on his laurels.

"I've got a lot of room for improvement, I flew my trainer out to All-Star Weekend. And I told him: 'I'm really going to get to work this summer. I will be a better player next year.'"