Thursday, February 26, 2009

That's what point guards do in this league

If you've noticed a change recently in Mike Conley's game, it's likely the result of a conversation he had with new MEM coach Lionel Hollins.

"He told me, 'I'm giving you your chance. You're going to be the guy finishing games, the guy starting games. You're going to be our point guard, and you have to be the leader of this team. Assert yourself and be aggressive,'" Conley said. "He wants me being a leader vocally, getting guys up for games. When he first told me all that, it was a shock. I started trying to be that person he wants me to be, and it's really helped my game a ton."

Previously, Conley had split time at PG with 22-year-old Kyle Lowry, who was traded to HOU late last week.

Coach Hollins says he's seen an immediate change in Conley's game.

"He's being more assertive. Would I like him to be even more assertive? Yes. I told him (Wednesday) morning I want him to attack more, to take charge more. That's what point guards do in this league. They take control of the game and manage the team from the floor."