Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A candid admission of fault

In the NYK's one-point road loss to POR on Sunday evening, "Brandon Roy was allowed to drive 35 feet to the basket, untouched, for a winning scoop shot at the buzzer."

What NY coach Mike D'Antoni didn't realize was that his team "had a foul to give with 4.3 seconds left against the Trail Blazers."

With reporters after the game, and again on the team's flight that night, Coach D'Antoni pulled no punches:

"I screwed up, period. That’s my responsibility. I made a mistake. I’m the guy. It’s my fault. So I should know. Probably won’t happen again. Can’t swear to it. But I messed up."

According to this article in the NY Times, "It was a candid admission, given the deep aversion of recent Knicks coaches and executives to acknowledging mistakes, on or off the court. But D’Antoni came to New York with a reputation for straight talk, and it was on full display..."

Knicks forward David Lee, who had 29 points and 11 rebounds in the loss, was quick to take up for his coach:

"He didn’t lose the game for us. The last play never loses the game, to be honest with you. There were a lot of things we could do, and a lot of improvements we can make, that we should have won the game in the first place."