Saturday, February 7, 2009

When it comes to judging a high school kid's character, talk to the custodian

Earlier this week, on National Signing Day, high school seniors all over the U.S. announced where they'd be playing college football.

If you've ever been curious how college staffs evaluate a player's character, West Virginia football coach Bill Stewart provided some insight when he was asked about it recently:

"Two of the best people I talk to when I go recruiting are one, the school custodian, and number two, the school cook, and that will never change. I find the custodian and I find the school cook. How do they ask when they ask for seconds? Do they say please and thank you? That weighs heavy on me. Maybe that doesn’t way heavy on some coaches but that weighs heavy on this staff and these coaches."