Saturday, October 11, 2008

When my players make a mistake, I make a mistake

A few days before Texas beat Oklahoma in today's "Red River Rivalry," ESPN's Pat Forde had a good feature about Longhorns defensive coordinator Will Muschamp.

As Forde writes in his story:

Muschamp is at the far end of the intensity curve. "He is not allowing anyone to take a lazy step at any time," head coach Mack Brown said. One thing is certain: The Longhorns never have to wonder where they stand with their first-year coordinator. They know he cares. He's constantly bathing them in animated feedback. As quick as he is to yell at a mistake, Muschamp is right there with praise.

Although Muschamp's defense is one of the best in the nation, he makes it clear that he's not interested in stats.

"Stats are for losers. I like winning games. I like what I do. It's my job to get these guys to play well and play physical. I play through them. When they make plays, I make plays. When they make a mistake, I make a mistake. It's a week-to-week profession. You can be a real good coach one week and an idiot the next."